Sunday, October 18, 2009

Marathon

Wow! What a day for a marathon! Kelly and I ran the Kansas City Marathon yesterday and once again, the Gunn came through strong! She had set a goal to run a four hour marathon and what did she do? She busted her goal and came in UNDER four hours!! I'm telling you, once that woman has her mind set and focused on something... WATCH OUT! she has a will and determination like no other. Kelly consistently shows that that she will finish Couer d'Alene and will finish strong and happy. Me on the other hand, just had a fun race. I didn't look at my watch once and just enjoyed the scenery and the people. In retrospect, I know I could have picked it up and ran a better marathon. Why I continue to doubt my abilities is beyond me. I think I need a serious spanking by my coach- I've been beating myself up too much lately. I really picked it up the last two miles and was feeling good when I crossed the finish line. I wonder what would have happened if I would have pushed in the middle? Funny enough- I was at mile 19 1/2 and looked over at one of the volunteers and was blown away. It was an old buddy of mine from college that I hadn't seen in about 20 years! We chatted a bit and then I remembered I was running a marathon and needed to get my rearend moving! What a crazy thing to happen!
Not only did Kelly PR but one of our sole sisters, Patricia Rosa, qualified for Boston! Way to go, P! All the hard work and focus paid off. We were all so happy, it was almost like we all qualified!
Marathon over.... what's in store now?

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on your marathon successes you two!! No matter what I've done in sport, finishing the marathons that I have ranks up there as top on the list. Hope you are getting some good R&R now!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go girls!! All I did on Saturday was drink beer :) Keep it up!!

    ReplyDelete