Friday, December 4, 2009

Swimmin' 'Fast'

I seriously need to start swimming faster.

Last night I had an awesome swim…even given the fact that I had tri-camp the night before and my muscles were trashed. Claudine, my swim coach gave me intervals 5 x 100 on 1:50’s (50 of the 100 backstroke, ugh) and 5 x 100 on 1:45’s and I actually made them (well only a few and I was super close on the others, but still!).

I think I was just showing off for my friend Donna, who is the best swimmer EVER. Here’s how crazy fast she is. She’s kicking…with a kick board…no fins…no goggles…and lapping me (ok, almost lapping me)…What? I was booking it to try to keep her from lapping me while I am supposed to be swimming ‘fast’! I remember thinking to myself, holy cow, I have triceps! Where did these come from? I don’t remember feeling them while swimming before! Did I work them too much the night before?...maybe…was I working them hard during this swim?...heck yes!

I now know the secret to swimming faster…swimming FASTER! (OK, I always knew that, but don’t practice this ‘fast’ too often!). So, I am setting new interval goals (10 x 100 on 1:40’s) by the end of the year, I do want to swim ‘fast’ (steady and confident) at Coeur d’Alene right?

Here’s looking to the next pool session in the manana! Happy Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment